Friday 16 January 2015

Experiments in Food

Ian is a typical teen when it comes to food… he’s always hungry!!

Living in Moshi we are nowhere close to a McDonald’s, Burger King or any fast food for that matter and I  wondered how he would handle eating local foods of banana, roasted meats, fish, beans, ugali, (a stiff mix of corn flour and water),  maize (corn) and chappati; a flat bread eaten mainly for breakfast. Even going to a restaurant here we have to wait at least an hour or more for food as everything is cooked fresh to order.. which is good.. unless you’re like Ian..hungry.  Funny enough, Indian food is huge here so we are able to try many different Indian cuisines.
Eating butter naan at the Indian restaurant 

We have the regular foods that we can buy at the shops and the butchery, (butcher shop), chicken, beef and goat that we are able to cook in a variety of ways, but sometimes it’s not always about a quick, easy or familiar meal.

We went to visit with friends in the village and as a great honor for us coming; they decided to cook a chicken for us. The catch? It was still alive.  Talk about fresh meat.   The children living in the home started a merry chase of the rooster who seemed to know it was his last day and took off like a shot from a gun. I never knew little legs could move so fast… both the children’s and the rooster’s.
Not to sit idly by while his meal was getting away Ian joined in the chase.  It was boys vs rooster and for a moment it seemed like the rooster had a fighting chance when he jumped into a nearby tree and then glided the short distance over everyone’s heads. Alas, the chase ended with our rooster being a tasty meal along with rice and a side of beans.  Ian walked away from that one tired, but full.

Traveling in Kenya Ian was able to get his fast food fix at the KFC, and we had the best creamy gelato in Uganda. Sad to say the head guy who makes the gelato recognized me as the creepy lady who stares at him whenever I come to the shop… I swear, he looks just like my brother and the resemblance always catches me off guard and causes me to stare.. (Note to self.. don’t stare, it creeps the gelato guy out.. :) )

Rwanda I still contend has the best food in East Africa.  We ordered tasty beef brochette with bananas garnished with cilantro and onions.. I was well into my meal before thinking I should take a pic… oh well, you’ll have to take my word for it, it was tasty!

 In Congo we lived in the village so along with our host family we were responsible for helping with the meals, for me, that meant cooking over an open wood fire and for Ian, well he’s learned how to help slaughter the animals. 
Ian chopping wood for the meal fire

our stove and meal cooking

The first meal Ian had to help with was a cute little black pig that he named Gerald.  We decided to cook Gerald and share some of the meat with another family; Ian was up for the task of learning how to do this. In preparation both Ian and Willie, the other teen in the house, fed Gerald his last meal before they ran off in search of dried banana leaves and firewood to burn the hair off Gerald once the slaughter was done.    As I’m very squeamish I stayed away for this part.  I wondered if Ian would eat the meat after watching how our food made it to the table but I needn’t worry, before Gerald had even made it into the pot Ian comes up to me and tells me he’s the hungriest he’s ever been in his life.. teens, go figure!
Gerald the pig

After dinner while we sat chatting away at the table Mr. Aksante, one of our host, was chewing at the bones left on his plate.  Me: “Aksante, seems like you’re really enjoying the pork” Aksante casually answers, “No, I’m chewing the bones for the dog” Ian and I both responded at the same time with a puzzled look on our face. “Dog? We have a dog on the compound?” Aksante looks at us sheepishly, “Well, no.” “It died.” “Last week.” “Just before you came.”  Ian and I couldn’t help busting into laughter, as the first week we ate meat that we were both questioning what exactly it tasted like.  Maybe we had eaten the dog and didn’t know it.

Being in the village there were 2 market days, Thursdays and Sundays.  On these days we would head down to the town square to stock up on the basics as well as to meet and greet with our village neighbors.   We noticed they sold guinea pigs and asked  Aksante if they were sold as pets. Aksante laughed shook his head and said “No, its for eating!” Then he added, “I love the meat of mini pig, its so tasty!!” Of course right at that moment Ian decided he had to try it.  So home came the guinea pig as Sunday supper.  As I’m not as adventurous I left him to describe the taste to me.. he thought it was alright, a bit too many little bones for his liking  but not something he would be buying for next Sunday’s dinner.
Guinea pig being roasted

By the end of our stay the feral cat that prowled the house at nights eating anything left over and still sitting on the table walked up to Ian and decided to become friends.  Everyone in the house was excited, Ian had caught the cat and it was to be our next meal!!  Although Ian was adventurous in eating guinea pig and possibly dog he put his foot down when it came to the cat… no eating Tyga!! The disappointment was audible throughout the house.  But all was not lost as we were only staying for 1 more week and watched throughout the week as one by one they would hold poor Tyga up, under the guise of petting, and discuss which parts everyone wanted once we left.
I guess its all fair game.
Ian and Tyga, 

Back to Tanzania and for Christmas Eve we had drum roasted turkey while hanging out with friends. What a treat for us!! And fish on our latest adventure was the yummiest I’ve tasted in a long time.
yummy fish meal!!!
drum roasted turkey at friends house.

Traveling has been great for us as we have been able to eat outside our comfort zone, but Ian keeps reminding me “The moment I get back on U.S. soil, the first thing I’m going to do, is go to a McDonalds.”


1 comment:

  1. cool looks like you guys are having a lot of fun ! k.abena

    ReplyDelete